Day 12 Loch Tay To Insh (South Of Aviemore)

Day 12 Loch Tay To Insh (South Of Aviemore). (Posting a day late as didn't have internet) Late start today as the cyclist I had met yesterday had seen the weather forecast say heavy rain till 10am, and sure enough almost spot on 10am it stopped (at least for a while). Glad I waited till rain had stopped, but knew I had a long distance to cover today. After starting off in wet and cold conditions when I saw the sign at the start of the cycle path for the Drumochter pass saying "warning weather conditions deteriorate without warning and can be severe even in summer" my heart fell as I was already wet and cold. But the combination of a long hard climb (warming me up) and improving weather actually made it one of the highlights! Amazing views at the top, felt like cycling on top of the world. From then on it was a long day but rewarded by the ultimate camping spot: in a wooded area by a small loch, all to myself. As I had been wild camping in the rain but without nearby water for two days it was absolute heaven to strip off, jump in the loch, and rinse off three days worth of grime (I had washed other days, but a bowl and limited amount of water are not exactly ideal). I'm sure the water was really cold but I didn't notice. Also gave me the opportunity to wash clothes. Fell asleep with a warm glow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First post: planning a Land's End to John o'Groats trip

Planned Land's End to John o'Groats route

Day 3 Dartmoor To South Of Glastonbury